Wednesday, March 19, 2008

kindness gone wrong

I daringly took the risk to head south of Chicago alone to visit a friend of whom I believed would have FFK-ed in the end anyway, but somehow I decided to think that "yeah what the heck. If he did FFK, I just wasted an hour on the train but at least got to feel a glimpse of the south side from the train."

Merrily I get out of the house, with a nice big shopping back filled with a couple off gifts that I was going to send through this friend for the birthday gal in Minnesota. It was a nice day (BTW nice day here equates the TEMPERATURE of the day); yeah pathetically the weather has become part of my daily conversation so you could possibly lamely hear me say "Isn't it so lovely today" - then right after that I have this nauseous sensation of "DID I REALLY JUST SAY THAT?"

So I get on the bus and head to the train station. As I inserted my transit pass to let me through someone accidentally nudged me. A guy at the next point-of-entry elbowed me slightly. I looked over and assured him I was fine. Plus I was on the phone with my housemate so the multitasking just allowed me to ignore the nudge. I get ahead of the guy and reach for the door and hold the door open for him. I would naturally do it for ANYONE who is right behind me, but this guy happened to be on crutches and automatically I didn't let the door go to let him pass through. He said "I am fine" but somehow I didn't quite pay attention to what he said. I was still on the phone. So after he gets through, he turns and says to me, "just listen, this is a matter of opinion, but I said I am fine." All I could say was sorry but he hushed me. I was like what the hell.... so you expect me to just leave the door ajar and walk ahead... well I guess the next time someone INSISTS that they are fine I would just leave them to rot and die.

It's so annoying when kindness goes wrong. You offer an elderly person your seat and they think you see them as flimsy people. You offer a smile at the bus driver and he thinks that you are trying to flirt. You be nice to the the lady behind you in the restroom and the person third in line gets annoyed at me for allowing her to go first.

kindness so gone wrong.

No comments: