Saturday, March 29, 2008

the kids these days are not brats they are SORE LOSERS

My MSN status this week will read "feels a lil' accomplished". Yes indeed. I have to say that my shift to Chicago has indeed been a tumultuous one, financially, emotionally, and on another note a humbling lesson. But the reason I feel accomplished this week is due to the fact that I have had an awesome week at my new job and the very fact that I managed 9 hours and 20 mins of back-to-back birthday parties from another job.

For the most part I am currently a Barista at a Tea shop something of which I never imagined doing, but gotta say that I am MOST CONTENT with this job after the 6 OTHER jobs I have held in 8 months! what a record breaker (i think i will dedicate a whole entry on this so called life changing event). On other days when I am not Barista-ing, I am an event coordinator and work various events from team challenges, scavenger hunts, bar/bat mitzvahs, picnics, BBQs and MOST OF THE TIME birthday parties. I have to make a note that working with various corporate-asses, has taught me a lesson to never allow my profession to distinguish me from others. I HATE hearing old buffaloes utter "why do I need to waste my time/money doing this (this equates the team challenges/building or scavenger hunts) let's just drink beer" and these are spat out from mouths of men/women - men mostly between the ages of 30-45. So oneday I told the bloody CEO of one company,"yeah and they say that it's the youngsters with a drinking problem"when he made such a comment and boy should I have kept my mouth shut, coz throughout the night he ANNOYED ME by acting like a smarty pants.

Anyway, beyond the big-nagging-i know it all-babies that I have to DEAL with, every weekend of mine is occupied trying to please a birthday kid. After 8 months of working this job, I dare say that there is nothing more that can surprise me. From spoilt cry babies to 9 year old boys CRYING for losing to a 5 year old, a birthday kid throwing a tantrum at his own party, a dad being childish about losing Coke can, a grandma who was being an ass... what else? a mum trying to take over my job and maybe the last of MANY a dad telling me that my name Cassie is most definitely not one my parents gave me because you know... I am just not American and Asians are supposed to have weird sounding names... nothing can surprise me.

In fact, instead of dreading the kids and parties (well you know when you need to earn some money, you can't always complain too much) I actually find myself taking it with a pinch of salt or rather I am so immune to the ungodly surprises people come with that I in fact enjoy my job now. I mean I seriously find it ACCOMPLISHING when I successfully get a cry baby to shut up or a digruntled dad punished by HAVING to be involved in games of which sometimes may involve some bruises by cute adorable kids that you just sooo have to give in to.

Why did I finally decided to talk about this? Well let's see today I worked from 10 am - 8pm. First birthday I was called in at the last min to sub a party coordinator that didn't show. The next party I had 52 kids aged 2-6!!! and finally the last I had to ensure I was always incorporating Spiderman into everything that I even had to get the kids to do a Spiderman-walk to get them in order. muahahah. I am dead beat, like literally. The manual labor and accidental hits from the Pinata pole definitely defines my physical being now. DEAD BEAT.

The issue that surprises me the most is how SPOILT and bratty 80% of the kids that I meet are. I understand kids being competitive, but being a sore-loser? Geez. I am not gonna say "they are just kids. that's just their nature" no this is a brand new species! I remember growing up and going to ample birthdays. Ok my bro was a sore loser but he was just one of those rare specimens of our age. But when it was my turn to lose in the game musical chairs, I sat aside till the new game started. I and neither did most of my friends cry about being out! but these kids??? They kill the motive of the game! damn those kids. Then again, if you are familiar with the game "the flower blooms" well basically when the person says "the flower blooms at so and so time" you need to group up in that number. Oh my Lord, I tried that game twice and ended up with kids CRYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why? coz they felt like they weren't CHOSEN! oh my god seriously! and the cake? they can fight with the birthday person about who gets what part and toy! they cry when they didn't have a chance to hold the ball! they just cry when they feel that they are a SORE LOSER! It drives me insane. But I have come to terms with it. And now, when a kid cries, I DON'T even bother all that much. I make an attempt and if I fail, god bless the parent that has to console the brat.

many more birthdays to come!!!! many more situations to deal with... EXCITING-nya....... oh and you know what? I also think that the icing on the cakes nowadays may be affecting kids brains in a bad way. Seriously... the coloring is SOOOO bad. I certainly enjoy seeing their smudged faces which colored cream that can only be cleaned off after a couple of soapy washes. Haha. The lost lasting colored cream that they are absorbing must be altering their manners... competitiveness... toughness.

No comments: